September 27, 2016

ARC Review | She's My Kind of Girl by Jennifer Dawson

Okay, so back in my first post I mentioned about doing book reviews on here. 

It still feels somewhat nerve-wracking for me to do this because if you follow me on Goodreads, then you're probably aware of how I "review" stuff. I'm the least eloquent person in the room and I talk in keyboard smashing and emotions. 

Either way, I reckon it's fun to talk (read: try to talk) about books I've read and why I love/hate them, so here goes! 

*

She's My Kind of Girl
by Jennifer Dawson
Series: Something New #4.5
Publisher: Kensington
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: Netgalley
Rating: ★★
Release Date: September 27th, 2016
Goodreads | Amazon | Kobo | B&N | iTunes
In high school, they’d burned fast and hot. Now is their chance to find out if the sparks that linger will ignite a whole new flame.
The only thing Darcy Miller ever wanted more than gorgeous troublemaker Griffin Strong was to shake off the dust of small-town Revival, Illinois, and head to the big city—even if she had to leave him behind. Ten years later, Darcy is the ultimate New Yorker, writing a sex blog and living on designer cocktails and the pulse of urban life. That is, until she hears that Revival plans to seize her mother’s house right after the holidays, thanks to the new mayor—who is none other than Darcy’s ex…
Griffin couldn’t have asked for a more dangerous Christmas gift. Curvy, sassy Darcy is every bit as delectable as the wild child she was in high school—and just as determined to stir up problems. But Griffin learned long ago to straighten up and fly right in order to make changes in the town he loves. Keeping his reputation wholesome is a big part of that. If only Darcy didn’t make him want to take his place on the naughty list with her, right under the mistletoe…

4 stars.

Oh man. I've been a Jennifer Dawson fan since last year, I think? I picked up the second book in this series, The Winner Takes It All for fun and it blew me away. 

Let me just say something about this series: it gets better. After I finished the third book, The Name of the Game, I was like, "How is Jen gonna top this? How is she gonna do it because this is pretty awesome." Then the fourth book, As Good As New came out and it wowed me again, and now I'm just repeating myself with this one.

Because the truth was, one look and he wanted her. Just like he's wanted her back in the day, that first time behind the school. Something about Darcy Miller had always reached inside of him and squeezed.

Now, second chance romance is basically my ultimate favourite trope, so it's a no brainer that I devoured this one like four cheese topping pizza. I adore both Darcy and Griffin instantly when they were introduced on the page. I love Darcy's grit and the fact that she made a name for herself in New York, her determination to save her mother's house despite it being a losing battle from the get-go (Sorry, Darce). I love the way she always speaks her mind and stands up for herself. I love Griffin's reformed self, his passion for Revival, and his love for the townspeople. 

She wanted to be the woman he deserved.
Wanted to love him the way he deserved.
She bit her lip. Tonight she would.

Darcy and Griffin together? FIREWORKS. Their banter is so entertaining, and when they finally get together? Jen Dawson is basically the queen of writing sexy times, so I have no complaints ;) 

Honestly when I found out that this was a novella, I admit I was a bit bummed because you know how unsatisfying novellas can be. Fortunately it's not the case with this one. She's My Kind of Girl reads like a full-length novel, and I'm utterly grateful for that. 

Now I just need Sam Roberts' book and I'll be happy. 


Disclaimer: Quotes are taken from e-ARC.

No comments :

Post a Comment

speak.