November 22, 2016

ARC Review | Holiday with a Twist by Shannon Stacey

Holiday with a Twist
by Shannon Stacey
Publisher: Carina Press
Genre: Adult, Contemporary romance
Source: Netgalley
Release Date: November 21st, 2016
Rating: 


Synopsis: 
After a messy breakup, Leigh Holloway is ready to start her life over. Until her parents put the family home on the market and call her back for one final, memory-making Christmas. The last thing she wants to do is deprive her mom of the perfect holiday, so she'll lie her way through the visit and worry about her future in the New Year. Too bad the only bar in town is owned by a guy she seriously wronged in high school.
Leigh's best friend broke Croy Dawson's heart, and Croy knows it was Leigh's fault. They've never liked each other, but Croy isn't cruel: he'd never turn away a pretty woman in need of some family-Christmas fortification. He doesn't expect her to drink just enough candy-cane martinis to tell him her secrets—and he definitely doesn't expect to get caught up in her holiday madness.
Despite the surprising love and laughter, Croy and Leigh can't escape the truth: he can't walk away from his family obligations and she has a life and career to reboot. But anything is possible if your holiday comes with a twist…

3 stars

"Old friends reconnecting and finding love? Hell yeah, sign me up!" I said as I clicked Request on Netgalley. Bonus: It's Shannon Stacey and I know from experience that her books never fail to make me feel good. Plus, the guy on the cover is cute. 

What I Like

I really wish this was a full-length novel because I can't get enough of Croy and Leigh together, but at the same time I'm glad it's a novella because the story flowed and wrapped up so nicely (I make no sense, I know). Croy and Leigh had history and once they acknowledged the cause of their fallout and made peace with it and each other, the fun started. I love the whole we used to be the best of friends and now we're friends again but why can't I stop thinking about kissing you? concept, we need more of this in lit. 

I also appreciate that they all behaved like adults when conflict arose because that would have been a buzzkill since this book isn't that long to begin with and unnecessary drama would have ruined that.

What I Don't Like

Nothing, really? I truly enjoyed this story, and the only reason why I don't give this a solid 4 is because I don't give 4 stars to novellas on account of their lengths. But bear it mind that this is totally a high 3 star read for me.

Overall, I love that Shannon Stacey's books are always lighthearted and entertaining. Also, THERE WILL BE A NEW KOWALSKI BOOK?! I freaked the hell out when I saw the announcement page. 2017 can't come soon enough! 


No comments :

Post a Comment

speak.