November 5, 2016

ARC Review | Tell Me Again by Michelle Major

Tell Me Again
by Michelle Major
Publisher: Montlake Romance
Genre: Adult, Contemporary romance
Source: Netgalley
Release date: October 18th, 2016
Rating: ★★½ - 
Goodreads | Amazon

As a teenager, Samantha Carlton used a career in modeling to break free from her painful childhood—walking away from her reckless twin sister, an alcoholic mother, and the boy she loved. Yet she never outran the guilt of abandoning her family. When the past shows up on her doorstep in the form of her late sister’s daughter, Sam opens her home and her heart to the girl she never knew existed. But it’s not so easy to face the man she left behind...
Sam had shattered Trevor Kincaid’s heart, and he’d sought comfort in her sister’s arms. But he’d pledged to shield his daughter, Grace, from the drama that followed the Carlton women. Now Grace has tracked down Sam, and Trevor is forced to deal with the one woman he wanted to forget.
History has a way of repeating itself, and the sparks between Sam and Trevor reignite an old flame. But as much as Sam wants a new future, is walking away again easier than risking her heart for a second chance at love?
2.5 - 3 stars

Second chance romance is one of my favourite tropes ever. I'm always partial to the angst and pain in books and after reading the blurb on Netgalley, requesting for this book is a no-brainer. 

What I Like

Shamelessly, I'm one of the people who judge a book by its cover. I'm more likely to purchase a book if the cover is pretty (gotta do it for the aesthetic ayyyy), and this book has one of the nicest covers in Romance, IMO. I absolutely adore the purple gradient, and the title font isn't too shabby either.

There is so much guilt surrounding Sam--mainly regarding her estranged sister who died, the whole thing about the niece she never knew she had, and the fact that her niece's father was her ex-boyfriend--this story is basically catnip for me, and since I picked this up for the pain, I can say that it was painful, so kudos on that. I also really enjoy Sam's narrative and I love her best friends, and I love seeing her bond with Grace. 

What I Don't Like

Oh man, the main reason that spoiled the whole experience for me is definitely Trevor. I don't appreciate his indecisive thinking and knee-jerk reactions every time something goes bad. I mean, I get that he's been hurt in the past by Sam leaving him, but having him back-tracking and going hot and cold on Sam when they were trying to rebuild things together just made me want to break something. I feel like every conflict in this story could be avoided had he like...chill out a little? 

 photo Q0zJ8.gif

Overall, this could have been a lot better. The story is nicely paced, though, and I really enjoyed Ms. Major's writing and will definitely be checking out her other works.

No comments :

Post a Comment

speak.